The primary responsibilities of the Public Awareness Committee fall under the heading of communication between members and between the club and its community at large. The following areas comprise the communication umbrella.
Sparks - club newsletter
Webpage - www.altadenarotary.com
In the following paragraphs, each of these areas is described in some detail.
Sparks - Sparks is our award-winning club newsletter and is prepared 48 of the 52 weeks per year. Its primary focus is as a forum for expressing ideas and keeping the club informed about what is happening in each of the several committees. Each issue contains:
Photography - This includes photos of program speakers and special events such as:
- A column by one of the committee/subcommittee chairs (or a person working within the committee) in rotation. The column describes a particular program or area of responsibility within that committee.
- A lead article by the president -- or his/her designee, expounding and expanding on the subject of the writer's choice.
- Information on the current- and past-week's programs as well as a short synopsis of upcoming programs for the next four to six weeks.
- Regular/irregularly published columns by members (and sometimes a member's spouse or significant other) in which they discuss their hobbies and their passions.
- Contributory articles by members about club functions, personal points of view and brags.
- A listing of member's birthdays and anniversaries. (We also include the birthdays of our members' spouses or significant others and the surviving spouse or significant other.
- A listing of greeters for the current and next two weeks.
PR - This responsibility is how we communicate to the community what our club projects are in the community, the nation and internationally.
- Christmas parties
- Community projects
- Fellowship events, etc.
Remembrance - Greeting cards are sent to members (their spouses, significant others and/or survivor) on their birthdays and anniversaries, plants or flowers are sent to members, spouses, and family members who are in the hospital, and Get-Well cards are sent for members who are ill.
Webpage - www.altadenarotary.com - Our communication center to both club members and the community at large. It contains information on and about:
- Officers,Directors and Chairs
- New members
- Coming events
- Sparks & Sparks archives
- Roster of members
- Description of the areas of responsibility for each committee
- Pictures and reports on special projects
- Links to members' websites/blogs for indepth information on projects or to showcase their business and anything else we decide.